Well, I actually got the properties file loading properly!

When I set undeployWars="false" in server.xml, I can still see my log
messages inside my Tomcat console!

Here's my corrected file (Log4jInitServlet):

import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.Properties;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;

import org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator;

public class Log4jInitServlet extends HttpServlet {
        public void init() throws ServletException  {
            Properties  props  = new Properties();
         //   String file = getServletContext().getInitParameter("log4j-init");
         //   File propFile = new File(file);
         //   if (!propFile.exists()) {
         //     System.out.println("log4j.properties file not found" +
propFile.getAbsolutePath());
         //   }

            try {

props.load(this.getClass().getClassLoader().getResourceAsStream("/log4j.properties"));
                } catch (IOException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }

     //
PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(propFile.getAbsolutePath(),10000);
   }
}

Now, my problem is that I can't use the PropertyConfigurator because I
placed log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes and then just placed it
into my CLASSPATH using getResourceAsStream(). If you look at my code
whihc contains the invocation to PropertyConfigurator, I need a File
type to place as the first parameter inside the configureAndWatch()
method.

Is there a way to convert this stream as File?

Happy holidays!

-JD

On 12/22/06, Hassan Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 12/22/06, James Dekker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
>        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>        xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>       </Host>

> tomcat.home=C:/DevTools/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9
> tomcat.deployment.dir=${tomcat.home}/webapps

Most of that was irrelevant :-) but the above doesn't mesh with your
earlier path:
C:\DevTools\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9\mywebapp\WEB-INF\classes\log4j.properties.
:: which doesn't include a 'webapps' directory.

Is that just a typo or are you setting Context atttributes (like docBase)
somewhere else?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]