Could you provide some more details on your environment like tomcat or
java version? Another question: have you performed a thread dump on
the machines with high load, to see if a thread is caught in a
infinite loop or something?
What does vmstat say? Do you have constant user time ?
questions questions questions...
:-)
Leon