>>   * Not having to modify server.xml directly.  According to the
Tomcat
>>     docs, you shouldn't modify this file.

> I think you may have misconstrued something in the docs.  There's
> nothing wrong with modifying server.xml; for example, production
> environments must change it and web.xml to remove development-oriented
> attributes.  Certainly you should not place <Context> elements in
> server.xml, since that requires a Tomcat restart to modify webapp
> attributes.

Ok, that makes sense.  I got the feeling after a while that I was trying
to be too strict about that idea and it's nice to have somebody else
mention that.

>>   * Tomcat's server.xml file has a host declaration for each webapp
>>     and a declaration for localhost (though that is not necessary)
>>         <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" />

> I would remove the <Host> entry for localhost, since, as someone else
> pointed out, its appBase points to a parent directory of the other
> <Host>s, and this is at best bad practice and confusing, even if not
> necessarily causing errors.

Good idea.  I have no good reason for leaving it there other than the
fact that it was there previously.

>>   * Being able to include the manager app for each host that I
define.

> I don't have a problem doing this.  All I did was place a copy of
> manager.xml is each conf/Catalina/[host] directory, and all apps
deploy
> properly under each of their hosts.  Did you change something in
> manager.xml?

I was able to get this to work as well.  For some reason, when I
manually created the conf/Catalina/[host] directory and placed the
manager.xml file in there before I restarted tomcat, I was getting odd
problems in not being able to deploy my app.  When I placed the
manager.xml file in there after I had the app up and running, I had no
problems with the manager app conflicting with my other app.

Thanks again for everybody's help on this -- I feel like I've finally
made progress on this issue and have a better understanding for how
things work.

Josh