I want to thank everyone for the insightful information yesterday on my query
about moving Tomcat.  I have not moved anything at this time but I have made a
copy onto CD of everything that resides on the /usr/local/src directory.  This
does include the jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9 directory and all of its content.  Again,
as far as I can determine everything associated with our website does reside in
this directory.

Martin, there is a lib and a classes directory in the /shared directory but
there are no files in those directories.  However, there are lib and classes
directories with files in the /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/common
directory.

I have read through the link you provided below.  There are a few .jar files
that reside in the folder that the "howto" article does not discuss.  Here is a
list of the .jar files in /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/common/lib:
Commons-el.jar
Jasper-compiler.jar
Jasper-compiler-jdt.jar
Jasper-runtime.jar
Jsp-api.jar
Naming-factory.jar
Naming-factory-dbcp.jar
Naming-resources.jar
Servlet-api.jar

There is one file in /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/common/classes/:
Logging.properties

Here are the files in /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/lib/:
Catalina.jar
Catalina-ant.jar
Catalina-cluster.jar
Catalina-optional.jar
Commons-modeler.jar
Servlets-cgi.renametojar
Servlets-default.jar
Servlets-invoker.jar
Servlets-ssi.renametojar
Servlets-webdav.jar
Tomcat-ajp.jar
Tomcat-coyote.jar
Tomcat-http.jar
Tomcat-util.jar

There are no files in the /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/classes
directory.

I do not see a .war file in the /usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/webapps
directory or any other directories.  I do believe that all the web site content
does reside in the webapps/online directory.  There are several files and
folders in the online directory.  I have not seen anything that indicates the
content resides anywhere else.

If it is not obvious that there would be any files outside of the
/usr/local/src directory except the JDK which I see resides at
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0 can I then assume everything needed is going to be found in
the /usr/local/src/ directory under the various appropriate directories?

Other questions, could I download tomcat and java fresh onto the new server
that I am moving the web site onto?  If I download updated versions of these
programs would the web site function normally if I just copy the content files
from /webapps/online on the old server into the same directories on the new
server?  Or, would I have some additional configuring to do?

Thanks,
Steve
------------------------------------
I'm glad to hear that Steve!

to recap--
Get same version JVM installed on new tomcat
Get same version Tomcat installed (with manager and admin working) on new
Tomcat copy over jars from $CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib/*.* copy over class files
from $CATALINA_BASE/shared/classes/*.*

if you see extra jars or class files located in either
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib or $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes read this
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html
once you feel you grasp the implications of what jars should be located in the
common folder then copy jars and classes only on a as-needed basis

All of your webapps live in a self contained package called WebAppName.war
(confirm by viewing folders located at  $CATALINA_BASE/webapps
and all war files located at $CATALINA_BASE/webapps/*.war)
you should use the manager of the new server to open each war file and
carefully note any error messages at top of manager screen
If the top of the manager screen displays errors
then view the tail end of the log file located at
$CATALINA_BASE/logs/HostName.YYYY-MM-DD.log

As always we are here to help
HTH
M-
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of
the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information
that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from disclosure. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination,
Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le
cas échéant) s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des
renseignements de caractère privé ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit
de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le reproduire.