From: Caroline Jen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject: Re: web application - student need help
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:59:16 -0800 (PST)

For configuring a connection pool, follow this URL:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/configuration.html

1. The JDBC driver JAR must go in the common/lib
directory (because for connection pooling it needs to
be accessible to
both Tomcat and the web app).

2. DBCP is built into Tomcat so you don't need to
install a JAR for that.

3. Always close the connection when you're done with
it.

The configuration shown below is what in my Tomcat's
server.xml file:

        <DefaultContext>
              <Resource name="jdbc/MySQLDB" auth="Container"
                  type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
              <ResourceParams name="jdbc/MySQLDB">
                  <parameter>
                        <name>factory</name>

                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>driverClassName</name>
                        <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?autoReconnect=true</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>username</name>
                        <value>javauser</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>password</name>
                        <value>javadude</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>maxActive</name>
                        <value>20</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>maxIdle</name>
                        <value>30</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>maxWait</name>
                        <value>10000</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>removeAbandoned</name>
                        <value>true</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>

<name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
                        <value>60</value>
                  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
                        <name>logAbandoned</name>
                        <value>true</value>
                  </parameter>

              </ResourceParams>
        </DefaultContext>

    </Host>

Then, the code to get a DB connection is:

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.naming.NamingException;
import javax.sql.DataSource;

public class DBConnection
{
   public static Connection getDBConnection() throws
SQLException
   {
      Connection conn = null;

      try
      {
         DataSource ds = ( DataSource ) ctx.lookup(
"java:comp/env/jdbc/MySQLDB" );

         try
         {
            conn = ds.getConnection();
         }
         catch( SQLException e )
         {
            System.out.println( "Open connection
failure: " + e.getMessage() );
         }
      }
      catch( NamingException nEx )
      {
         nEx.printStackTrace();
      }
      return conn;
   }
}

Then, the code to use the DB connection:

import java.io.IOException;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.Statement;
import java.sql.PreparedStatement;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import java.sql.Timestamp;

import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.Collection;

import org.apache.artimus.message.ThreadBean;
import org.apache.artimus.message.PostBean;
import org.apache.artimus.message.AttachmentBean;
import
org.apache.artimus.message.exceptions.MessageDAOSysException;
import
org.apache.artimus.message.exceptions.ObjectNotFoundException;
import
org.apache.artimus.message.exceptions.AssertionException;
import
org.apache.artimus.message.exceptions.DatabaseException;
import
org.apache.artimus.message.exceptions.BadInputException;
import org.apache.artimus.ConnectionPool.DBConnection;

public class MySQLMessageDAO implements MessageDAO
{
   public void createThread( String receiver, String
sender, String title,
                             String
lastPostMemberName, String threadTopic,
                             String threadBody,
Timestamp threadCreationDate,
                             Timestamp
threadLastPostDate, int threadType,
                             int threadOption, int
threadStatus, int threadViewCount,
                             int threadReplyCount, int
threadDuration )
                             throws
MessageDAOSysException
   {
      Connection conn = null;
      PreparedStatement stmt = null;
      String insertSQL = "INSERT INTO message_thread(
message_receiver, message_sender, article_title,
last_post_member_name, thread_topic, thread_body,
thread_creation_date, thread_last_post_date,
thread_type, thread_option, thread_status,
thread_view_count, thread_reply_count, thread_duration
) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)";

      try
      {
         conn = DBConnection.getDBConnection();
         stmt = conn.prepareStatement( insertSQL );

         stmt.setString( 1, receiver );
         stmt.setString( 2, sender );
         stmt.setString( 3, title );
         stmt.setString( 4, lastPostMemberName );
         stmt.setString( 5, threadTopic );
         stmt.setString( 6, threadBody );
         stmt.setTimestamp( 7, threadCreationDate );
         stmt.setTimestamp( 8, threadLastPostDate );
         stmt.setInt( 9, threadType );
         stmt.setInt( 10, threadOption );
         stmt.setInt( 11, threadStatus );
         stmt.setInt( 12, threadViewCount );
         stmt.setInt( 13, threadReplyCount );
         stmt.setInt( 14, threadDuration );

         stmt.executeUpdate();
         // m_dirty = true;
      }
      catch( SQLException se )
      {
         System.out.println( se.getMessage() );
         se.printStackTrace();
         throw new MessageDAOSysException( "Error
executing SQL in ThreadHandler.createThread." );
      }
      finally
      {
         if ( conn != null )