There is no way currently. I have a patch on my local machine which allows add this functionality for FileDirContext.
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/resources.html

<Context path="/x"
      docBase="/usr/local/crap">
<Resources className="org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext"
           aliases="/a1=/mypath/images;/a2=/foopath/images" />
</Context>

But I haven't had time to see if my patch is secure or compliant if someone uses the WebDav servlet.

In the meantime - your best alternative is to use sym links.

-Tim

Barrie Selack wrote:
I am converting from Resin and there I can map a directory not inside
the webapp to one which can be reached via a URL and translated by Resin
as below:

  <path-mapping>
    <url-pattern>/files/*</url-pattern>
    <real-path>/realdir/files</real-path>
  </path-mapping>

I can't seem to find a way in Tomcat to do that. Do I have to write my
own filter? Any tips or help appreciated.