I want to get rid of the trailing slash for style issues (really a small
concern) and also to learn about customization within Tomcat as well as URL
rewriting.

Regarding URL rewriting, did you mean the following?

    <rule>
        <note>Testing trailing slash.</note>
        <from>(.*)/</from>
        <to>$1</to>
    </rule>

Perhaps that works rather than a <to> value of (.*)

Are you sure about what you said: "URL Rewriting will not help in
eliminating the trailing slash because it's the browser that does the URL
translation." The way I interpreted Len's comments were that it's the server
that does the URL creation/translation, and the browser that does URL
resolution...two different concepts...