-----Original Message-----
From: Zhan, Jimmy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 3:20 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: HTTP PUT - HOW TO CONFIG?

Hi Robert,

        Thanks for your help.

      After I added that readonly into web.xml, I can put files into
      /webapps/incoming. Right now it is ok for me. Because user ONLY
      can put files under /webapps/incoming dir.

      Also, in this way, tomcat does not require userID and password.

      Now there are three questions:
      1. How to config to force using userID and password? I add
putusero1
         into "tomcat-users.xml", it's useless.
[Robert Harper] Look at the documents. You'll have to set up the security
and determine what kind of authentication you want. This may be version
dependent so I won't go into too much detail here. I am using 5.0 because
that was the newest version when I developed my app and I don't see a big
reason to change right now.

      2. How to config another servlet to handle PUT in web.xml?

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>PUT</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.???????</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>????1</param-name>
            <param-value>????1</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>????2</param-name>
            <param-value>????2</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>?</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>
[Robert Harper] Create your servlet extending the HttpServlet and set the
"servlet-class" value to the package_path.ClassName for your servlet. Use
the "security-constraint" area in the web.xml file to set what you will and
won't handle and other options. See the Tomcat documentation for your
version on where and how to do this.

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>PUT</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/MyPUT/PUT-Handler</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

        3. How to turn on client request log in tomcat side?
[Robert Harper] I used log() method inherited from HttpServlet to log my
messages. I created a little wrapper method so I could easily force certain
patterns to the messages. Where they land is in the logger specification in
your web.xml configuration in the servlet's context. The easiest way to
configure the logging directory, file names, and other settings is with the
admin app.

What version are you using?

Thanks

Jimmy