Hi James,

I guess, the size of the shared memory is not big enough.
You can increase it using the JkShmSize directive for Apache. The value is an integer value which is the provided shared memory size in Kilobytes.

During startup with JkLogLevel debug you get messages like:

... do_shm_open::jk_shm.c (327): Truncated shared memory to 28800
... do_shm_open::jk_shm.c (360): Initialized shared memory size=28800 free=28672 addr=0x2a98f02000 ... do_shm_open_lock::jk_shm.c (266): Opened shared memory lock /var/tmp/install/apache2p/logs/jk-runtime-status.lock ... init_jk::mod_jk.c (2562): Initialized shm:/var/tmp/install/apache2p/logs/jk-runtime-status

from which you can see, which file system object is used for the shared mem and which size is used. Usually the size should be big enough to handle 64 workers (including ajp13, load balancers and lb sub workers).

You can check, the size that is being used on your system and then double it via JkShmSize and try again. Let us know your results.

One question:

James Masson wrote:

Hi,

I'm working on creating a pair of Apache mod_jk load balancers for an Tomcat web-app farm.

Redhat ES4
Server Version:    Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
JK Version:    mod_jk/1.2.20

apache-tomcat-5.5.20-1

Everything works fine, until I exceed 15 load balancing workers on mod_jk, then I get a 500-Internal Server Error, for every web-app.

Note that the 16th worker config works fine, if specified as part of the 15.

I don't understand, what you mean by specifying a worker as part of another worker.

Regards,

Rainer