Hi Oren,

Oren Livne wrote:
 Dear Gaurav and everyone,

Thanks so much for your help. The explanations were good and helped me better understand how the tomcat classloader works. However, I still have a problem running my web application. In short, the exception is "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category"; see below. I tried removing files, moving jar files, and sometimes got "Logger" not found, or "inconsistent hierarchy --you have more than one logger". By the way, it all works perfectly on my windows desktop with MyEclipse 5.1 and the same classpath, or at least I think it's the same.

I know it's because commons-logging.jar, commons-logging-api.jar and log4-1.2.11.jar ahve some API conflicts. I didn't understand the explanations on why, and didn't find anywhere the steps to follow to get it to work (which is all I care about!). Can someone please help outline the steps I need to do to get my app to work?

Thanks so much in advance.
Oren

do not use commons-logging 1.0.x but 1.1.x instead. It has a very nice diagnostic function and the error would have been reported much better.
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-logging.cgi
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/troubleshooting.html

Regards