Hi All.

I'm getting some intermittent exceptions from Tomcat with which I would appreciate some assistance. I get an IllegalStateException from Tomcat. This is not a unique error, though it looks like the circumstances causing it are. We have a complex application, with multiple servlets and many JSPs. The specific type of IllegalStateException is a TODO, and it usually occurs when we call sendError() on the HttpServletResponse object. I know this sounds like the typical coding error, but we have checked very carefully and haven't found it. We have looked through many of the posts on other occurrences of this exception, including the Tomcat documentation that describes its common causes. We've checked those method calls (e.g., getWriter() or getOutputStream() followed by a sendError() or similar call), and can't see any logical errors in the flow of code.

The exception only occurs when one specific servlet is active. This servlet is a custom proxy, and behaves as an Http client to other servers. Interestingly, the exception doesn't get thrown from the proxy servlet, it actually pops up in several of the other servlets. We put in lots of debug statements and found that sometimes (approximately 20% of the time) the 'isCommitted()' method on the HttpServletResponse object indicates that the response is already committed *upon entry* to the proxy servlet! But even when isCommitted() indicates true, it only occasionally leads to the exception occurring in the other servlets. It seems that Tomcat is getting confused at the core by the proxy servlet - why else would the response appear to already be committed upon entry to our servlet. Possibly this is due to the web client nature of the proxy servlet? Or maybe a subtle bug somewhere in the proxy code that overwrites something internally in Tomcat?

We can avoid the IllegalStateException by not calling sendError if the response is committed, but either way the application doesn't behave properly. Environment: We get the same problem on in different environments, which strongly indicates it is specific to the Tomcat 5.5.X line:
OS:  Windows 2000, Windows XP, AIX
JVM:  1.4.2_12-b03 on Win32, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM AIX build ca142-20060824 (SR6)
Tomcat:  5.5.7 and 5.5.20

The Tomcat FAQ lists *the most common* reasons for getting an IllegalStateException. I think we need to go to the next level. Does anyone know the more subtle reasons for getting this?

Thanks,
Tom Davis