From: Daniel Gresh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 5:27:26 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.0 on UNIX: no /bin directory in $CATALINA_HOME, and JSP
compilation errors

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Reading RUNNING.txt was very helpful, as the problem with not finding
the /bin directory and a problem I experienced after I found the bin
directory was due to the presence of a CATALINA_HOME and a
CATALINA_BASE. I found my /bin directory in CATALINA_HOME, and used
shutdown.sh to shutdown Tomcat. More on that later, as that lead to a
problem.

The reason I have Tomcat 4.0.5 is that my server admin is very busy and
therefore won't have time to upgrade to a more recent version for
awhile. So, I'm stuck with Tomcat 4.0.5 for awhile unless I have a
compelling reason to upgrade. Although in the replies I have gotten
upgrading is highly recommended, I want to first sort out the problem I
just got after using shutdown.sh. Then once the server isn't causing me
any more problems with that and if it IS causing me problems with my
JSP, I will most certainly upgrade; I'm not disregarding anyones advice.

Anyway, I used shutdown.sh to shutdown Tomcat. I waited for a minute,
then I used startup.sh to start Tomcat again. However, when I navigate
to my localhost:8080 directory to view my index.jsp page, I get the
following error:

  Apache Tomcat/4.0.5 - HTTP Status 404 -
  /var/apache/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/_/index$jsp.java
  (Permission denied)

*type* Status report

*message* _/var/apache/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/_/index$jsp.java
(Permission denied)_

*description* _The requested resource
(/var/apache/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/_/index$jsp.java
(Permission denied)) is not available._

I'm not sure what this is telling me. It says permission denied, but in
the description, it says the resource is not available. This may be
something that would be more appropriate for me to ask my system admin,
but I figured I would post here first, just to see if it is a problem I
can solve on my own. Is there any log file I could post that might give
more information, or is this pretty much a problem I need to resolve
with my system admin?

Thanks for the help,
Dan