Steffen Heil schrieb:
Hi

That's the way You should go:
http://www.linux.org.mt/article/tomcat-ports

I totally disagree.
First, it would surely be best to update to 6.0 and run it using jsvc....

However, let's look at the solution in the link above.

1. "The Apache solution". (Which should be called the "httpd" solution.)
This will work, and might be okay, if you are already running apache on that
system.
BUT tomcat itself can be faster (at least newer ones, I don't know about
3.x) without httpd.

2. The IP tables solution
You webapplication will not know about the different port and encode urls
incorrecly. Bad Idea and impossible if SSL is required.

3. The rinetd solution
Good for development and tests. Adds a little overhead AND destroy a lot of
logging and security, as tomcat will always see ONE client ip.

4. IPchains alternative
see 2.

UPGRADE.
Otherwise get jsvc to work for you.

Regards,
  Steffen
Hi Steffen, good point. Neither logging nor the security was ever a problem for us, so we did not even notice ;-). The applications work fine for several years in production (a cocoon 2.0 and some struts based applications) and we did not encounter encoding problems. I'm not experienced with network protocols but for me it looks like tomcat logs the address information on ip level, but servlets work with the ip address of the http request. This information should not be influenced by rinetd or iptables.

Yes, the jsvc seems the correct approach. We'll change, when 6.0 reaches production quality.

Thanks and regards
Stefan

--

Stefan Riegel