Hi Tomcat users (and developers),

we're using an enterprise product which utilizes tomcat (v 4.1.29) as
webserver technology.

We've configured a LDAP connection for user authentication.

Now when we want to authenticate against the LDAP it sometimes fails and
results in a second user credentials request form.
This "error" is caused by our loadbalancer which has an idle timeout after
which the connection is terminated automatically.

Having opened a support call regarding this behavior of the product resulted
in the conclusion that tomcat establishes a permanent connection when
started and then sits and waits for authentication requests always using
this permannet connection.

I don't know tomcat very much so I'd like to ask you if this is right. If
tomcat starts this connection would it be possible to configure it to always
use a new connection (or to send something like keepalive packets every x
minutes)?
The product vendor does not use the "official" JNDI realm as described in
tomcat documentation but implemented an own one so it could be "their
fault", not tomcats ;-)

To work against missunderstandings - I just want to know if either our
vendor has to take action in this (and doesn't want to) or I have to think
about a workaround for myself (e.g. sending an LDAP request every x minutes
to avoid such connection terminattions).

If this behavior is "normal" to tomcat servers and someone has a clue how to
avoid it I would be appreciated to here from you.

Many many thanks in advance,
Marcel