Robert Novotny wrote:
I would like to test Tomcat 6 on Windows, however I would still like to
retain the previous Tomcat 5 installation (along with the Tomcat 5 service).

I would think you can do that. You can even run them both at the same time, as long as they are configured to listen on different ports.

However, the installation threw an error when it was about to install the
Tomcat 6 service (note that I have unchecked the Service option in the
component selection dialogue).

What was the error? Was it a port conflict? If so, you know how to solve that one, right? If it was a service name conflict, you should be able to solve that one too by renaming one of the services.

Did you at least stop the tomcat5 service before installing tomcat6? As long as only one of them is running at once, it should work fine. See Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services

Mojo
--
Morris Jones
Monrovia, CA