there is probably no such thing as "best way"

  - JVM Heap usage
manager and lambdaprober
  - Number of active threads (if by active threads you mean current requests)
manager, lambdaprobe, moskito
  - JDBC connection pool stats
lambdaprobe
  - Active thread list
lambdaprobe, moskito (if by active threads you mean current requests)
  - Hits/Sec (running average)
all of the above. However, running average is pretty useless, since
after a week of running it won't change even if the hits doubled or
halved. If you want the average in last 15 minutes or some other time
interval go for moskito.

regards
Leon