I understand what you are saying, however that means you also have to re-do all the "application management" system. Deployment, connectors, management, adminstration, thread management, load balancing, SSL key management and configuration and many many other infrastructure pieces that can be leveraged to manage a large complex system. This would be a huge project (ie: the scale of creating tomcat)

So if one wants to create a web adminstratable application that has (one or more servlet "ports" that connect with other protocols). And has web ports to handle HTTP requests into the same system. If you *can* do it in tomcat it would be great. If those protocols are somewhat "transaction" based then they would fit very well into the servlet model. I am trying to sus out the potential.

Yes you can always write a complete application manager from scratch :)
I am trying to avoid it.

Peter K.