From: David Delbecq [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 01 March 2007 15:36
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Need some pointers on how to troubleshoot performance
problemsof an application running on tomcat and java

En l'instant précis du 01/03/07 08:15, Nurul Zaman Mohamed Akhbar
s'exprimait en ces termes:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Tomcat. I have an enterprise application (which was
> developed by an external vendor and for which we have no source code)
> that is running on the followng:
>
> 1. Apache Tomcat 4.1.31
> 2. J2SDK1.4.2_11
> 3. Windows 2003 OS SP1.
>
> The hardware is as follows:
> HP 2-CPU machine
> 2 GB Memory
>
> The database used is SQL-Server 2000 SP4.
>
> The setup is configured so that Tomcat uses maximum 750 MB of RAM. The
> problem is that the memory used by Tomcat continues to increase until
> it has no memory to find and then it crashes. The only way to recover
> is to re-start the tomcat server.

Memory leak
> I need help in finding out why this happens ? Are there any known
> issues in tomcat 4.1.31 ? Is the Garbage collector in J2SDK1.4.2_11 buggy?

It's most probably inside the vendor's application. One simple but ugly way
to delay this problem is to increase memory available to java. One other
ugly solution is to restart tomcat every night.
read this for details on memory problems and solutions
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html

to monitor tomcat in general, lambda probe can be useful
> If I were to monitor the performance of the applications, what kind of
> tools are available? Are there any tools to search for memory leaks in
> the application ? I hope someone can guide me to the correct answers
> (or atleast to the correct websites or tools).
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Nurul Zaman Bin Mohamed Akbar
> Application Analyst
> EXT: 8291
>

> Disclaimer Note.
>

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If
you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering
the e-mail, be advised that you have received this e-mail and any files
transmitted with it in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing or copying of this e-mail and any files transmitted with it is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail and any files
transmitted with it in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete this message.