Rajendra Sakpal wrote:

1.> I am gathering that "/" refers to the drive where my Tomcat is installed on Windows. (With file path as "/subscribers.txt" the file is created at
the root of the drive.)

That's right:

1. **there is no special meaning for "/"**.

It's as if you went into a command-line window and typed in that name. On Windows, it refers to the root directory of your current drive. On Unix/Linux-type machines, it is the root.

2. Tomcat may or may not have permissions to write to the root directory. (Depending on process ownership, and the ownership of the root directory).

3. Even if Tomcat has permissions, if it is set up with a security manager, that will (may) prevent you from accessing anything outside /WEB-INF.