Hi Dan. Thanks for responding.

Yes, that's true, the file is owned by the tomcat user.  My mod_perl stuff
runs under "apache" (the httpd user) and I have some Perl daemons that run
as root.  In Perl, using log4perl, I can set the owner, group, and umask of
the log file for file creation.  I have a reason for keeping the user IDs
(apache, tomcat, root) as they are.  So, what I've done is made them all
part of the same group.  Its the group and group permissions I need to set
on the log file using FileAppender.

Any thoughts?