hi Chris,

thanks for all your information! you've been helpful.. do I trust you?? ..hhmm.. :-)

anyway, my problem was solved by using the SetEnvIfNoCase directive. The main reason i needed an updated jk was for the jkUnMount exclusions.. another post on here pointed me to SetEnvIf - which allowed me the JK mount exclusions I needed..

So now I have tomcat serving servlets, jsps, etc.. and apache taking care of statics and php's.. awesome!

Also, FYI- I stumbled on this link--> http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ModJk --which had some great ways to get mod_jk compiled.. in addition to the fast path, it talked about using commands like "up2date -i httpd-devel" to get the latest apxs.. and such..

..its a really good read.. so keep that link in your toolbox. thanks again,

mike