Hi,

I recently installed Tomcat 5 following these excellent instructions using
the exact same versions that are referenced in the instructions:

http://www.meritonlinesystems.com/docs/apache_tomcat_redhat.html

When I run the install command I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/bin]# ./startup.sh

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly This environment
variable is needed to run this program

NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE

>From the instructions I did the following:

**************************

Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable, by modifying /etc/profile so it
includes the following:

JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2"
export JAVA_HOME

/etc/profile is run at startup and when a user logs into the system, so you
will need to log out and log back in for JAVA_HOME to be defined.

exit
su -

However, when I check the

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [~]# echo $JAVA_HOME

/usr/local/jdk

[EMAIL PROTECTED] [~]#

*******************************

it appears that "JAVA_HOME" still points to the wrong directory.

I have repeatedly tried to reset the JAVA_HOME variable and searched for a
solution on Google & MARC but I am hitting a wall.

-- From the root level the Java (j2sdk1.4.2) is installed in the /usr/java
directory

/usr/local/jdk

-- Tomcat is installed in the /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat directory.

OS: CentOS

I am installing this on a Virtual Private Server (VPS) at a hosted facility.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul