For what it's worth. I wouldn't be so quick, did he ever say what error page he was getting from outside? This happened to me and it was because I wasn't handing off the NEW app code to Tomcat from httpd jk connector ie: JkMount /what-ever-your-app/*.jsp ajp13worker1. Depends on how he set up Tomcat. It was an obvious mistake from a newbie.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Crowther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 9:03 AM
Subject: RE: Problems connecting

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The point is when I change localhost with a real ip
62.56.xxx.xxx I cannot
connect to the server, but the nice things is if in my
cellphone I enter
the address http://62.56.xxx.xxx:8080 I got the tipical
welcome page of
Tomcat. So is not the firewall is not the router.. I guess is
something
that I have to set up, but trust me I don't know where...

So:

- You have a NATted network
- From the machine hosting Tomcat, you can connect using localhost
- From the outside world, you can connect using the external IP address
- From inside the NAT, you cannot connect using the external IP address

Is that correct?

If so, this sounds like a common feature with cheap routers - they don't
all route requests for their external IP correctly from within the
NATted subnet.  My old router had this problem.  Buy a better router or
accept that you won't be able to test the application on the external IP
from inside :-).

If any of my assumptions are wrong, tell us - we're going to need more
information about your network to help debug this, I think.

- Peter