Hi,

> The issue seems to be with the IE /Tomat handshake.  When IE hits my
Tomcat site, it
> puts up a dialog with a title of "Choose a Digital Certificate".  However
the list of
> certificates to choose from is empty.
> The certificates are loaded into my IE browser.   It seem to work with
IIS.  When I
> hit an IIS site, the same form comes up, but the form is pre-populated
with the list
> of certifcates.
> Why doesn't IE show the certificates when accessing Tomcat but does when
accessing
> IIS?
Most probably, your Tomcat connector does not trust the CA from your
Smartcard. As you
Configured clientAuth="ture" you make the connector request a client cert.
The connector
will send all the CA's it trusts to the client and your client will present
the fitting
ones for you to select from. When the Server (in this case the tomcat
connector) trust no
CA's your client has certificates from, you'll see the empty list.

I can only guess that your IIS has the CA from your smartcard already
imported.

To fix it for tomcat you need to append your connectors configuration by the
following:

        truststoreFile="conf/trust.keystore" truststorePass="i_wont_say"

You need to put the CA cert (and all CA certs above that one) into the
referenced trust-keystore.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Alexander Jung