You could put a case statement in the catalina.sh file where you change the
CATALINA_BASE directory based on user input:

echo "Enter the application you want to start "
read app

case "$app" in
app1)
export CATALINA_BASE=/usr/local/app1base
;;
app2)
export CATALINA_BASE=/usr/local/app2base
;;
default)
export CATALINA_BASE=/usr/local/tomcat/latest
esac