I've googled and read the release notes included with the 1.4.2 tomcat
download.  It references the running.txt doc for more info on doing
this.  I can't find thiat document or reference in the TC doc's or by
googling the issue/searching the tomcat forum.

Does anyone have a pointer to what the exact steps are that need to be
completed to run TC 5.5 with JDK 1.4.2?

Related, is there a doc or FAQ that talks about issues/limitations
running in this mode?  It's not something I want to do but have to do
because of 3rd party software constraints.