> From: Andrew Miehs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [OT]Re: Is better one or more Tomcat instances
> per machine
>
> Your kernel, and the things which are doing your process
> switching need somewhere to run - if you switch them out
> of your 4GB of virtual address space, how are they ever
> meant to 'come back to life' on the next context switch.

In IA32, it is theoretically possible to run every user process with a 4
GB local descriptor table, and when a kernel service is required, the
hardware switches to the global descriptor table due to the interrupt;
the global one maps the kernel space.  Once in kernel mode, the OS code
can juggle the segment and page tables any way it sees fit.  I don't
know if anyone actually does run with a 4 GB user process space; most
use a split in the virtual space to avoid the above juggling.

> Didn't the reason for choosing this size have something to do with
> the memory required by the PCI slots, etc?

Not sure what you mean by "this size", since we're discussing lots of
them here.  There is considerable address space history to look back on,
starting with the original IBM PC running in what's now called x86 real
mode.  Many of the IA32 architecture aspects have evolved with
compatibility and migration in mind, so it's not what you'd design from
scratch.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.