Actually the product is an industrial automation tool. It is supposed to run
in control rooms of industrial plants. The requirement for a single user for
a machine is important because the client is very heavy. It requires a lot
of memory and other resources (which makes it important that we restrict
more than one client for a machine). The product can also run in office
environments where the configuration etc for running it on plants are to be
set etc.. So, its something like that. And yes, you can rule out the
possibility of its running over the internet but in workshops or other
office environments we can have those IP scenarios.

On 3/18/07, Peter Crowther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: kz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Im working on a product which requires that only a single
> client instance can be connected through a machine.

There is no way, to my knowledge, to implement this in the general case.
It's always possible for a power user to assign two IP addresses to the
machine and run two browser processes, each bound to one of the IP
addresses.  You have no way of distinguishing that case from the case of
two separate machines.  And what about the other case: that of multiple
users of (say) a Windows terminal server through thin clients where
there is a machine with one IP address but several legitimate users?

Are there some features of your network that make this problem more
tractable, for example assumptions that there are no proxies that might
confuse IP addresses, that machines will only ever have single IP
addresses and that machines will only ever have single users?  If you're
writing an Internet webapp, then answer to the above is almost certainly
"no".  If you're writing for a corporate environment with tight control
over the clients, you might be able to get somewhere.

I have to ask: why is this a requirement?

               - Peter