I don't see  why you shouldn't be able to use the class java.net.URL
with HTTPS, actually, it should work:

Url url = new URL("https//www.yourweb.com");
HttpsURLConnection connection = (HttpsURLConnection) url.openConnection();

However, never have tried it myself since personally I believe that
Applets are an outdated technology, but that' s a different story.

Anyways, have a look at this article, maybe it gives you a starting point:

http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=24672

Please also have a look at the comments to the article.

HTH

Greg
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2