Tomcat is running on a server, say tomcat.mycompany.com.  The user is
sitting on their computer, say mypc.othercompany.com.  The two speak http to
each other.

Thus, if you want the client (mypc.othercompany.com) to edit a file, you
must send it from the server (tomcat.mycompany.com) to the client, i.e.,
download, edit it locally, and then post it back to the server (i.e.,
upload.)

HTH,
Tim