I'm glad that you have a solution and I too agree that it is better to
keep the .css extension on a css file, since other components may
depend on it.

But I just wanted to let you know that if you decide to refactor the
project at a later date, and if you move the css file up or down at
least one directory level than it is currently at, then all the
relative paths inside the css file would have to be revised to the new
relative path. There would be no need to revise the paths if a (root)
context relative path was used.
It's just a trade-off -- one way or the other it is possible to make
things work (as already suggested by many different solutions on this
thread).

Also, projects typically have one main css file throughout , so having
relative paths inside the css file should not be an issue, since it
means changing only one css file.

-Cheers
Rashmi