if you are on TC 6, you can always use the NIO connector as an alternative.
There is a mem leak in 6.0.10, but fixed in SVN, new release around the corner

take a look at

the "protocol" attribute tells you how to configure the different connectors

Filip

Chris Eldredge wrote:
Well, as I've stated I'm not aware of any resource contention. The UDP socket is being used in a daemon thread that is executing asynchronously with the standard Tomcat request processing threads and I don't see any blocks waiting for monitors etc.

Even worse, I tried removing tc-native from $TOMCAT_HOME/bin so APR is not being used anymore, and poof, the problem went away. That doesn't make me comfortable, but I don't have time to dig into the bowels of APR.

Martin Gainty wrote:
Hi Chris-

Possible if the invoker 1)is executing the thread in a synchronized fashion ..but.. synchronization produces contention (the analogy is 2 boys reach for the same piece of bread at the dinner table at the same time where neither one wants to give the other his prize..it's best to avoid synchronization contention scenarios) 2)'Classic Thread' objects although in most scenarios these thread objects when associated with a key are not necessarily short-lived and may never be GCed so eventually you may see 'permgen space errors' happening as the objects which are classic Thread stay in heap forever.. 3)The best solution is to implement your class using ThreadLocal to quote "A thread-local variable effectively provides a separate copy of its value for each thread that uses it. Each thread can see only the value associated with that thread" The classic example is acquiring DBConnection objects where you want a specific DBConnection alloced and init'ed on a per thread basis an example
public class ConnectionFactory {
private static class ThreadLocalConnection extends ThreadLocal public Object initialValue() { return DriverManager.getConnection(ConfigurationSingleton.getDbUrl());
        }
   } //ThreadLocalConnection
private static ThreadLocalConnection conn = new ThreadLocalConnection(); //this will acquire a per-thread singleton object only for your thread }//ConnectionFactory

This example comes from IBM site located at
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-threads3.html

Does this make sense?
HTH,
Martin--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le cas échéant) s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des renseignements de caractère privé ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le reproduire. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Eldredge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>