Ah... get a chance to tell you how cool Netbeans is, love love love it.
Does most any Java programming, and it excels with Tomcat.
Use a wizard to make your JSP or Servlet, then debug it in the editor, and then deploy, all very easy.

Apache is all text configuration... it actually could do with a good configuration tool but I have never seen one. Apache has very good help files that will get you going.

Typically you develop your Tomcat stuff, and plug into Apache afterwards for stuff like load balancing and clustering, and you can debug your servlet with Apache acting as a front end... dont worry about that, you'll pick up Apache once you get going with Tomcat and Netbeans.

If you going to learn Netbeans, just keep in mind that the "Web Visual Development" is bleeding edge. That stuff lets you develop web sites like VB IDE's, but its not a good way to learn servlets and JSP's... it uses Tag handlers, Script, CSS, Java Server Faces to work its magic, and they are all deep frameworks, so the HTML page and the Java will look foreign.

So get Netbeans, use the project manager to make a NORMAL "web application", then right click on the project and make a JSP page, and right click on the project and make a Servlet, then right click on those items and run them... you will see Tomcat work and the test pages in the browser. If you look at the code, its easy to understand and you'll learn quickly. Then you can start looking at stuff like Java Server Faces, Tag handling, or Struts in the wizards.... and decide if you want to go that way. There are so many frameworks, its overwhelming, so better to get into the basic stuff first. Spring is also a popular framework as well and you can download the Spring plugin for Netbeans...

Can even get a C++ module for Netbeans.

Put in this way... I used to develop with Visual Studio.... Netbeans Tomcat and Java are better. Not only as tools, but you will find these tools allow you to leverage a huge open source environment, and that means with smart design, your clients only need to pay you. There are terrific dB's out there like Postgresql, there are powerful search engines, XML tools, and you'll find most of the Apache site Open Source integrates beautifully.

Developing on Windows works very very well, very easy to setup, and a nice dev environment. Then... run your creation on plain XP or MS Server 2000/3 or drop it into linux.

If you new to Java.... take your time with the basics, you'll find you can do most things... then have a look at stuff like JBoss Spring Struts etc.

Netbeans..... very very good, and sponsored by Sun, so you can be sure all the fancy stuff like Enterprise EJB's are also covered.

I get very excited when I see a newbie coming to Tomcat and Netbeans.... theres a learning curve but you never going to look back.
I call it foreplay... and theres a major orgasm ahead of you.... ha ha.

Have Fun

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>