Laura McCord wrote:
> I currently have Tomcat 5.0.28 installed and we received a security
> vulnerability notice pertaining to a "Apache Tomcat Directory Traversal".
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2007-03/0167.html
>
> We were thinking about upgrading to version 5.5.23 but is it true that
> we would have to upgrade our java installation from 1.4 to java 5?

No this is not true. TC5.5.x runs on a 1.4 JDK as long as long also
download the JDK 1.4 compatibility package.

> Also, if anyone is familiar with this security vulnerability can you
> please explain what this means?
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-5.html - CVE-2007-0450
Short version:
 - Tomcat has two contexts, A & B
 - Tomcat is not accessible from the Internet
 - httpd is configured to proxy requests only to context A
 - httpd is accessible from the Internet

In this configuration a user may expect that context B is not
accessible from the Internet. This is not the case.

HTH.

Mark