Are you starting it as non-root?
Only root has the ability to bind to ports <1024.

Regards /Erik Melkersson

Faheem Mitha wrote:

Hi,

I can now get tomcat to run an ssl connector at port 8443 (Debian default), but doesn't work if I try to run it at 443.

The log says:

Apr 17, 2007 12:31:19 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException: service.getName(): "Catalina"; Protocol handler start failed: java.net.BindExc
eption: Permission denied:443
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1096)
Any idea what I am missing? I don't think the problem is that apache is blocking 443, because when I turn off apache, I get the same error. In any case, I have configured apache to listen only at the florence.dulci.org:443 interface.

Is there an easy way to discover what is listening on a particular port on a particular IP address?

Thanks.                                                            Faheem.