As many on this thread have suggested it is better to uninstall it
with the uninstaller, when you first installed it as a Windows
Service.

I think I had problems when there was a blank space in the
installation path, however I don't clearly remember what the problem
was.

I do know that Ant can have unexpected problems when there's a space
in a path, and a while ago I used Ant to auto deploy to Tomcat, so
installing Tomcat on a directory that didn't have spaces in it assured
peace of mind.

I also had problems (it must have been my mistake also, sorry I didn't
note it down) with the Windows Service Installer, so I prefer to
install from the zip distribution on the development environment.

-Rashmi