I realize that sticky sessions always send requests from the same session to
the same Tomcat instance. However, if my sample application isn't using a
session (i.e. no cookies, URL rewriting, or hidden form fields), wouldn't
every request be seen as a new session and distributed among Tomcats on a
per-request basis (because in this case a session only lasts one request
from the point of view of the servers).

Of course once I've enabled some sort of session handling, then I'd expect
to see the behavior I see now. Correct me if I've misunderstood, but this is
why I believe I'm not seeing expected behavior and am likely doing something
wrong.

Also, how might I view the load balancing of different sessions in action?
I've cleared cookies and opened up a new browser window (even though I don't
think it's necessary in this case because I'm not using sessions), but it
still goes back to the same server.

Any thoughts? Thanks.