> From: David Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: (newbie) Why tomcat needs network on startup?
>
> Don't think there's any reason why tomcat should be
> prevented from binding to localhost if it's available.

By default Tomcat doesn't bind to localhost, it uses 0.0.0.0 - all IP
addresses.  If there is no TCP/IP stack on the system in question, it
has nothing to attach to.

> From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: (newbie) Why tomcat needs network on startup?
>
> .. but it seems like it is searching for DNS server on startup :-/

I just ran a Wireshark trace for Tomcat startup and it made no network
requests during that period.  However, I do have the enableLookups
attribute for each <Connector> element in server.xml set to false; if
you don't, that may change things.  If you find that some DNS lookups
are being made by Tomcat, you could define those names in your hosts
file to avoid making server requests.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.