Mark,

The ability to store encrypted passwords doesn't necessarily have to be used to
protect the system from hackers.  This would be a GREAT feature to enforce the
responsibilities between different roles in a development environment.  Also,
The encryption doesn't have to be full proof, it just needs to be a deterrent.
For the most part it is the people with shell access that I want to remove the
ability to read the passwords from.  Sometimes security through obscurity is
enough.

Kelly J Flowers wrote:
> I'm using Tomcat 5.5 to run a web application.  I have the connection pools
> set up and working in the context.xml but the password is in plain text.
> Does anyone know of a way to encrypt the password and username to the
> database?

This is nearly always pointless. A couple of points to consider:
1. If the password is encrypted, where do you store the decryption key?
2. If an attacker can read the context.xml file they probably have
shell access to your box. In this case you have bigger problems.

Mark