On 5/2/07, Sebastiaan van Erk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry about that, did not mean to say it is not possible to do a
request, wait, response with Comet. All I'm trying to say is that Comet
was not designed (at least, Filip stated this) for the async servlet
model, and I tried to point out some of the issues when using Comet in

It was not designed for that but it actually should work relatively easily.

such a scenario, such as getParameter() not working, synchronization
issues, etc.. There is a difference between "possible", and
"easy/practical". What I meant was that the current API is not designed
for both models, and it is not yet so practical for the async servlet model.

How about not arguing about everything ? It is your fault when
parameters are not processed. Tomcat will process parameters with
comet.

You need the IO event to free up more than just the memory. The file
descriptor also needs to be freed; this was causing problems for me earlier.

Then set a shorter timeout, allow an appropriate amount of file
descriptors, or produce an IO event. It is possible that a notify
method (or something like that) could be added on the event to make it
a bit more straightforward.

With a combination of "Content-Length" or chunked encoding plus a
"Connection: close" header this should be possible, I agree. I would
still like to know the "official" way to synchronize this is, though.

The way to sync is according to what your application does. The chat
mini example has a very simple sync structure. The sync depends on
what the application is doing. The only official stance is that none
of the structures that the Servlet API provides are synced.

Rémy