I am using tomcat5 5.5.20, Revision 3, java/tomcat5 from MacPorts.

I am following the instructions for the Addison Wesley book: "Servlets and JavaServer Pages: The J2EE Web Tier" from the first chapter.

The first chapter may be found here: http://www.jspbook.com/jspbook-01.pdf

I am on the part where the author is creating the jspbook directory and is placing a web.xml file in the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jspbook/WEB-INF directory, and a jspbook.xml file in the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps directory. I cannot get the webapps/jspbook directory to be recognized by my Tomcat setup no matter what I do, after following these steps and continuous restarting of the server. I am assuming that it is ok to forgo the editing of the server.xml file like the book says.

This is the error I receive after retrieving http://localhost:8080 -

 HTTP Status 404 - /jspbook/

*type* Status report

*message* _/jspbook/_

*description* _The requested resource (/jspbook/) is not available._

     Apache Tomcat/5.5.20

Please help.  Thanks in advance.