Thanks, I checked that and my I don't set a docBase in my context:

<Host name="domainname.tld" appBase="/home/scott/sites/domainname.tld"
             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

           <Context path="" docBase="" />

This exact same server.xml works fine under 5.5.15 which I've been running for about 16 months. I'll keep digging but after being bit by a bug in 5.5.16 I need to be much more careful with upgrading to new Tomcat versions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark Thomas wrote:
Scott Dunbar wrote:
I've been using the same code for years since the Tomcat 3.x days and an
upgrade to 5.5.23 has now broken my site.

Check your config for appBase in a host element being set to the same
directory as the docBase for a context. Most likely this will be in a
ROOT context for the host.

appBase = docBase should never have worked but did as a side effect of
a a bug that was fixed a few releases ago.

HTH,

Mark