Well, there is still no common understanding about what a TIMEOUT really
means
within the code base and the documentation.

E.g. the Javadoc for CometEvent says:

ERROR - Error will be called by the container in the case where an IO
exception
or a similar unrecoverable error occurs on the connection. Fields that
have
been initialized in the begin method should be reset. After this event
has
been processed, the request and response objects, as well as all their
dependent
objects will be recycled and used to process other requests.

However, the CoyoteAdapter does *not* treat a timeout as an error and
does *not* recycle any objects,
and this behavior works fine with Apr connector - i.e. the Servlet can
decide if this is an error
situation and close the event if appropriate.

No matter what the final meaning of a timeout will be - the behavior
should be the same for both connectors,
i.e. either both connectors should close the connection upon a timeout,
or both should keep it open.

Matthias