Hassan,

On May 10, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

If this directory that's in the ZIP file is the webapp itself, you should
be able to just copy it into the webapps directory and run. Though
you may want to rename it as suggested to something simple like
'jforum' because that's the path you'll access it by...

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still not sure what JForum installation instruction "register the JForum application within your Servlet" means so I just ignored it.

I downloaded a fresh copy of TomCat and put it on another server since I didn't know how to set up JForum to use the same TomCat as my MySQL-based Confluence and JIRA installations.

[As a matter of fact, I'm still looking for info that will let me understand the functional architecture in TomCat and Apache+TomCat installations ... who does the serving of what and how do they collaborate ? That's getting off the current topic]

After a few stumbles (due to missing files in the JForum installation archive I'm almost there. I've gotten to the point where I'm getting some org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver permission error that I'll bring back to the JForum forum.

If you're new to all this, you'll definitely be skipping the "merging"
idea in #2 :-)

This is definitely different from the web and applications I installed and managed starting back in '95. I have a lot to unlearn before I can get the correct mindset to understand the current software suites. It would probably be easier if I was coming at it without the prior experience.

I really appreciate the hints and suggestions. They nudged me far enough to get started.

Thanks,

-Sven