What can I do to get multiple Tomcat instances running under Tomcat 6? I've
installed Tomcat, set CATALINA_HOME environment variable, and in my startup
script I say the following:

startup -Dcatalina.base="pathToBaseDir"

Right now the baseDir that I point to in the startup script is completely
empty. I was hoping that Tomcat would populate it with some defaults, but I
guess not. What do I need to copy over - the following, or any more/less?

- conf
- logs
- temp
- webapp
- work

Also, when I execute the startup script as mentioned before, the logs in
CATALINA_HOME are populated and the server starts up successfully,
regardless of the fact that I told it to use another catalina.base.
Shouldn't it be giving an error rather than silently reverting to the
CATALINA_HOME files?