From: Jerome Benezech [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: den 14 maj 2007 11:21
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat Memory Usage

Hi all,

I run a cocoon webapp which is hosted on a shared Linux environnement
and runs under tomcat 5.5.9.
There are about 7 applications running under that tomcat instance (2
cocoon, at least 1 jsp, don't know for the others).
My host provider complains that he tomcat uses a lot of memory and that
he needs to restart it every 4 hours to release the memory.
Tomcat runs as a daemon (started using jsvc) and with the following
parameters:

jsvc.exec -user tomcat -cp ./bootstrap.jar
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=../common/endorsed
-java.awt.headless=true -Xmx500000000
-XX:MaxPermSize=300m -debug -outfile
../logs/catalina.out -errfile ../logs/catalina.err -verbose
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
-security

I'm really not sure where to start looking: memory leak due to bad
programming in the webapp or bad tomcat configuration leading to memory
leaks.
I also noticed there are quiet a few links in google pointing to
problems with Tomcat not releasing memory (objets not getting
garbage-collected), although they are mostly related to Tomcat 4.x. What
is the situation on with Tomcat 5.5.9 ?

I'm looking for help on what to look for, what configuration parameters
should be used in production environnement, how can I pinpoint this
memory problem ?

Cheers,
Jerome

Jerome Benezech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or
confidential.  It is for the intended addressee(s) only.
The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail, or any information
it contains, is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the
material from your computer.