With weblogic - EJB calls were done in the same JVM. With Tomcat - all the EJB calls occur outsite Tomcat's JVM and in weblogic's JVM. This is a BIIIIG performance penalty. (But allows for scalability). You should notice the same performance suckage if you ran 2 copies of weblogic where one of the weblogics was acting only as a servlet container and the other as an EJB container.

-Tim

Jonathan Kitchner wrote:
I am migrating from WebLogic 8.1 as a web server to Tomcat 5.0.28. I
continue to use WebLogic as my EJB container. My application functions
fully in both environments. However I am seeing the following:

            Under Tomcat the EJB calls are much slower ( I know that
Tomcat does not perform the actual call - we are using the thin client
from WebLogic).

            As the size of the result set from the EJB call increases
the degradation in performance increases.

            The CPU usage and Load factor and user response time are all
considerably larger under Tomcat.

Does anyone know where this degradation in performance is coming from?

Has anyone who has done this migration experienced the same behavior? If
so how did you mitigate it?