I am successfully running a local web application on Windows XP, using
Tomcat 5.5.20, and a JDBCRealm for the application that accesses two simple
tables (users and user_roles) on a local mysql database.

However, when I try to run the identical set-up on a remote linux server I
get database connectivity problems. A sample logging error message is:

   ERROR 14 May 07 12:44:54 - Exception opening database connection
   java.sql.SQLException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

I can connect to the database and its tables, using the
user/password/database details in the server.xml JDBCRealm specification, as
shown below.

So why can't Tomcat?

Here is an excerpt from the server.xml on the remote linux machine.

     <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
      unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

       <Context path="/userroleadmin"
docBase="/opt/tomcat5/webapps/userroleadmin" debug="99">
           <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
                  driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                     connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test"
                  connectionName="frank" connectionPassword="burns"
                     userTable="users" userNameCol="username"
userCredCol="password"
                     userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role" />
           />
       </Context>

Thanks,

Frank Burns.