You're welcome.

It may be a good idea to file a bug, because Tomcat 6.0.10 supports
JSP 2.1 and trimDirectiveWhitespaces is a new feature in JSP 2.1 , it
is supposed to work.

I've personally tried Ant's RegEx to compress the white spaces in
HTML, JS and other files, I've also heard that it is pointless to
compress white spaces because files sent by the server are gzip
compressed anyway --- which takes care of the white spaces, and then
they are uncompressed on the browser --- which makes the white spaces
appear again.

There are some things you should watch out when white space
compressing with Ant's RegEx. It puts everything in one single line.
So if you've used open comments such as // in either JSP or
JavaScript, the code after // will be commented out.

Similarly if you omit the closing semicolon in JavaScript, and
everything falls on one line, the Javascript wont work as expected.

The solutions are not to use open style comments // and to close all
Javascript statements with  a semi colon.

Anyway, your situation may be different but I just thought I'll let you know.

-Regards
Rashmi