Thanks Len, I was rather afraid that rewriting may be at least part of the solution but I was optimistic (hopeful?) that there was something we've missed.

Mike
--
Len Popp wrote:
I'm not sure it's possible to do what you want, but if it is here's
part of the answer:

You have to use URL rewriting instead of session cookies to track the
sessions. The browser doesn't know that two tabs are supposed to use
different session IDs; it'll use the same session cookie for both. URL
rewriting puts the jsessionid in every URL, so whatever link the user
clicks on will use the appropriate session.

To disable session cookies, set cookies=false in the <Context>.
To use URL rewriting, use encodeURL() or <c:url> for all URLs
displayed in web pages.